Tuesday, February 17, 2009

V-Day Wine Tasting


On Valentines day, my lovely wife and I went with some people wine tasting. There was an event from Fresno Wines called "Fresno Wine and Chocolate Weekend," or something like that. The problem is, I have had some amazing local wines. So I thought I would give these Fresno guys a try. We got a limo (a cool Hummer Limo) and hit the tour. There is only one time I have had so much crappy wine in my life. We did a Texas wine tasting event. Ever have any good wine from Texas? I didn't think so. This wasn't any better. I couldn't identify any varietals, and most were just flat out undrinkable. The chocolate part of the event is some tasting rooms had m&m's or hershey kisses out. Yeah!
Well after all of this, I stumbled on one table that wasn't part of the winery we were at. All three of his wines seemed amazing to me. He had a Grenache, Tempranillo, and a Cab Sav. However, I was not sure that it just seemed good because I had so much garbage before. Like finding a piece of coal in a pile of cow dung (I have no idea why that is the illustration that came to my mind while trying to think of an example of something that isn't that great, but can seem great when compared next to something absolutely awful). But, I was right. There wines are great. The winemaker is Stewart Epstein of Sunfire Estate. Great wines. The problem, not Fresno fruit. He just makes and cellars the wine in Fresno. So it isn't exactly Fresno wines.

So I have learned my lesson. There are some great wines grown somewhat locally, but none on the valley floor. Guys, if the only acreage you can afford is on the valley floor, MAKE RAISINS!!! If I decide to go tasting some "local wines" I will stick to the few gems in Madera and Mariposa Counties. Or take the drive to the other excellent wine regions in CA.
Nothing Great is grown on the valley floor, but I am glad I have found things that are made on the Valley Floor. Sunfire is a great find!!! The pic is of me talking with Stewart, the winemaker of Sunfire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well that was a bummer. sucks since you planned the whole night with the hummer and all. Hey, I heard you bought some people drinks last night.