Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Quintessa


While now I believe this wine to be too expensive for what it is, I have a Vertical of Quintessa from 1994(premiere release)-2002. About four years ago when I was beginning to be interested in wine I had a bottle (don't even remember the vintage) and loved it. For those of you that know me, when I take interest to something I go for it (go big or go home). So that is a little background info. Quintessa seems to be found in every steak house chain I have ever been to. I have seen it priced from $165-285 in various steak houses. While each vintage of Quintessa now yields about 8,000-10,000 cases, this premiere vintage produced 500 cases.


Quick Facts:
Quintessa, Rutherford, 1994
Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot (don't know %)
Time in Oak: 22 months (100% French, 50% new)
Release: September 1997 $70
Current Trading Price: $99
Reviews: 91 (wine spectator)

My thoughts: Nice fruit forward with rasberry, currant, vanilla, and floral notes. Medium complexity. Tannins have really softened. Probably peaked 2 of 3 years ago.

What I ate:(at Trelio) PETITE ANGUS BEEF FILET MIGNON
Smoked Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Pearl Onions, King Oyster Mushrooms, Red Wine Jus

The wine was good, but we continued the meal with...

No comments: