Thursday, March 17, 2005

Loss???

It is 11pm and I haven't begin to think of loss. I have been involved in ministry full time for about 3 days, and my day has seemed to involve counseling those that have been committed for much longer. How does God use me that way? I guess those times I feel guilty about when I was far from the path have become a testimony or warning about what can happen when a 20-something succomes to temptation.
But now my mentor Pat (insert link here to TWO BLONDE BOYS if I knew how they are the link on the right) has talked about loss. I am reminded about 10 years ago when I read about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (yes I am that young it was only ten years ago). What would it be like to watch your own funeral. I have been to a funeral with about 15 people and I have been to one where you had to walk 15 minutes just to get on the church grounds. The latter just happens to be someone who has influenced my life more than anyone thus far. He was my music teacher for 6 years that died of a heart attack at 45. Many only remember Paul as the Crazy young guy who played lead trumpet for Glenn Miller Orchestra and Maynard Ferguson. This is a man that loved his family so much he gave up the "success" he could have reached as a musician and took a job at San Joaquin Memorial whose big band featured 9 members for $18,000 a year. That is what I call a large combo. It was frustrating to hear people I considered men of God only be able to reference his party days of college, as I imagine many people I went to music school could be able to tell about me. Why is it that many people who know you your whole life can ignore the changes you make and still only remember you for the person you used to be. Paul is known for being a great educator. I will tell you being a student of 6 years that as much as the education world thinks her taught about music, their was always a life lesson involved. This post would last forever if I were to list all. I am reminded of something he said in 1996. As great of a runner Carl Lewis was, the Olympic team was worried about him being on the relay team. "You can be the greatest solo performance of all time, but if you do not know how to pass the baton, you are worth nothing." It seemed like 30 seconds of his 15 minute talk was about music. But that is all anyone who ever heard our band would ever think about. He created musicians. I disagree, he taught people how to think like unselfish people, and at the same time how to play great music. I hope everyday Paul had a relationship with Christ so I can talk with him daily about such things in eternity.

Pat quoted Hugh Hewitt and I am afraid if I do not get it exactly right...So forgive me. "Be that answer to as many people in life as possible...Who has had a drastic impact on your life?" PAt if you could help me out with the exact quote that would be great.
So I think about funerals. What would mine be like if it were held tomorrow? I need to look in an unselfish way a stadium with lines down the street with live video feeds all across the country. Not because I am vein, but because if that is reality, I will feel like I have touched as many people as possible and shared the good news of Christ in every opportunity. I think of a funeral as every person that ever saw Christ in your life. How many people would attend? The person who cut you off at Blackstone and Nees??? Maybe the norm is giving the finger except you wave and smile. Maybe the waiter that seems to be having a bad day you don't complain and leave no tip. I don't want the seats at my funeral to be only those whom I have lead to Christ through God. I imagine a scene in which everyone that has ever seen Christ like actions in mine attends. Sometimes I see 15-20 show. Sometimes a stadium full. We need to be living our lives so that when we perish (from the earth not from eternity) there will not be enough space and time for everyone to say their goodbyes. Live everyday as it was your last. Go out and touch people and make the moment you encounter them a life changing experience!!! GO!!!! Make people miss your funeral because it took 3 hours to find a parking place!

1 comment:

Pat Callahan said...

Hey, my bro...

Hugh said, "Be the answer to the following question for as many people as possible: 'Who has had the most impact on your life/career.'" (re:create conference, Franklin, TN, 2/9/05)