Sunday, March 02, 2008

What's his name...

Do you forget people's names all the time and are afraid to ask so they become buddy, pal, or sport.  Most people don't use these terms anymore, they will just have a conversation with someone and never use their name.  They are usually not caught, unless they have to introduce them to someone else.  However, if they can play it off long enough usually they can hear the forgotten name from someone.  

Working with Youth Groups  and children and being "up front" or "on stage" I realize that tons of people know my name and I haven't a clue what theirs is.  This is ok, unless I have been told their name, then it is not so good.  However, I try and learn EVERYONE's name, because it can really make a difference to a kid (and those of you that are in adult environments, it makes adults feel good too).  

A few years ago I began overusing kid's names, and being intentional about it.  When I meet them, I try and use their names as many times as possible in our first conversation.  This is easy because it is inevitable that someone else will walk up and give an opportunity to use their name:
"Hey John, do you know James?  I just met James, and James might be the coolest kid here.  Check out James' shirt.  You should have to apply for a license that read's "only people as cool as James can wear this shirt."  Are you cool enough to hang out with James?"
If something like that takes place, I have looked at this person and verbally committed their face and name to memory repeatedly in a short period of time.  It works for me, and this idea can be adapted to any age group.  

This is nothing new, no ground breaking radical thoughts, and I am sure people way smarter than me have put this concept on paper and state it much more eloquently than I have (and in hundred's of pages and charge money for it).  But I have never read it anywhere.  It just is something I do and works for me and thought I would post about it.  Next time, even in passing, as you wave and say "Hey, how's it goin?", replace it with "Hey Chad, How's it goin?" and I will be happy you know my name.  

No comments: