Tuesday, April 08, 2008

New Wine Cellar


I have been wanting a new wine storage solution for a long time. This is the vinotemp 500EC (will store approx. 450 bottles). I bought it from Costco online. It was about the same price as other retailers (however freight shipping was looking at about $600 where Costco's price included delivery, more on that later).
When we lived in Texas (and had 6 bedrooms for the 2 of us) I had a bedroom that I kept my wine cases in. It was not an ideal long term storage, as the room was kept at 70 degrees, but it worked. I kept my long term storage wines in my two wine fridges. Since we moved back to CA, the wine cases have been in the garage for the winter, but I had to do something before the warm weather comes. I am excited.
As you can see my collection is growing. When I first started, the only good wine I had (usually a bottle or two at a time) I wanted to save for a special occasion. Now I can go to the cellar and get an AWESOME wine on any given night. However, I have not opened a bottle at home in some time. With wifey pregnant, I have no one to enjoy it with. Come stop by if you read this and know where I live and want to try a great wine.

Delivery ISSUES!!!
So Costco had the free delivery, but it had a few issues (Costco uses independent moving companies for delivery). The company called and scheduled delivery. Great!!! They give me a 4 hour window and I make sure I am home. About 2 hours AFTER the window had gone by they call me. This is what the lady said "After everything that had to go out today was loaded on the truck, their wasn't enough room for your unit." Wait a minute. Why am the last priority??? Why is my delivery less important than everyone else's? And why are you calling me 2 hours after it was supposed to be delivered? Wouldn't you have known it hours before if it wasn't on the truck? Now since I work at home, it isn't a big deal. But they don't know that. I could be a normal person who had to take time off work to be home to accept delivery. P'd me off. So they schedule for the next day. Get a call the next day (at least this time it is before the window) that said the driver quit and walked off the dock. OK??? So they schedule for the next WEEK and it finally came. At least it is finally here (and yes I wrote to Costco telling them how this delivery company represented them).

CHEERS!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might have to come and try it some time. I had my first taste of scotch (I expect you to have thought about anchorman on the last word) so I'm feeling its time to step up to the wine

Doulos said...

one month.