Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Back to Reality

Sitting in the airport getting ready to come home.  It was a great trip.  Did some good diving, lounged around, shopped (bought some really cool stuff will post some later), and ate some good grub.  Just pondering a little something.  I had about 381 conversations this week that were all basically this (Person A and Person B):
A: So where ya from?
B: _________
A: Wow, you must be enjoying the weather down here.  What's it like back home?
B:  Yeah sure is nice here.  So what do you do?
A: ___________
B: Wow that is interesting...

Now these conversations can take 45 seconds while waiting for your margarita, or they can last hours.  Always the same, whether the person is from Norway, Arkansas, Michigan, always the same.  Why is this?  Are most people not good conversationalists?  After knowing what the climate is at home and what they do for a living, is there nothing else to learn about someone?  Or are these just safe and polite topics so you are courteous and friendly.  I am sure there were interesting people that probably had great things to say that I would have found fascinating this week.  However, I am going home with knowledge of global climate in February and several different professions.  Next vacation I am going to make it a point not to discuss weather or work.  I don't know how this became the default conversation, but I am going to change it.  

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You are Tagged..check out my Blog and see the rules:)

Liege said...

Are you gonna change the world next!!