Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Great Debate!!!

I am in Mexico...No, I am at the beach.  Wait, I am both.  You can see why this presents a problem.  When I am in Mexico I love to eat authentic Mexican Food (I love getting grandma style fajitas and fresh guacamole).  When I am at the beach, I love to get fresh caught lobster.  This has been a huge dilemma all week long.  I have managed well though.  I have gone mexican for lunch, steak and seafood for dinner.  I think I have consumed over 3 pounds of guacamole, and more than 3 pounds of lobster (probably around 4lbs of lobster).  Best Fajitas and guacamole goes to La Choza.  Big chunky flavorful guac and amazing fajitas!!!
Two lobster awards.  This was Pepe's.  Great view of the water and he flambayed my 12 oz lobster tail with fresh garlic, brandy, orange and lime.  Usually I am a purist and just have fresh boiled or grilled lobster with butter.  This was amazing and will start branching out and trying more interesting creations.  
The Lobster House (no website) was another experience.  There is no menu.  You are seated in a hut like structure.  You get to pick your drink and if you want soup or not.  Everything else is the same for everyone.  Lobster, potatoes and carrots, and rice.  This is the purists way.  You go select your lobster, and pay by the weight.  It is a fun little place.  Our lobster was over a Kilo.  The only thing was that they don't take cards.  Everyone on the island takes cards, but not this place.  People go in there paying $50-75 a person and they are cash only.  So I had to get a cab and go to the ATM and come back with cash.  But the lobster was great!!! 
I don't know which place I would want to go back to.  Pepe's, the Lobster House, and La Choza were all must eats in Cozumel.

No comments: