Saturday, February 09, 2008

Point of No Return???

I did it.  I bought a Mac.  After purchasing a new PC in October with Vista, I have done nothing but curse it.  I hate it.  I have always wondered about the easy to use fun audio, video, and photo side of mac, but could never justify buying one.  I need a PC for all of my "business stuff".  I can't run my tax and accounting software on Mac.  
Because I hate Vista so much, and couldn't go 2 seconds without a "I know you double clicked this program, but come on now, do you really want to open it???" I installed VM Ware Workstation.  Basically I run my old computer on it with XP.  I just have the luxury of the latest processors and memory with the new computer.  
I took my wife to the apple store last night and bought her a Mac Book Pro.  We were there for over two hours.  I learned so much about Macs.  Imagine a store where the employees actually know their products (and their competitors and sometimes aren't afraid to admit, "yeah that is better than what we can provide").  That was the Apple Store in Fashion Fair mall.  Whenever I go to bestbuy or CompUSA I get someone who has no clue about any of the products.  I always know more about what I am trying to buy then the person selling it.  Apple impressed me with their service and knowledge (The greeters don't know much, but are quick to refer you to someone that does).  
When we came home, I began to wonder.  If I use a virtual machine to run windows anyway, why don't I just get a Mac.  I have all of my windows work stuff, and also have the fun cool stuff.  I bought my PC from Sam's Club in October.  Within 6 months you can return it for a full refund.  So I went into the Apple store today with the intent to buy a Mac Pro Desktop and order a 30inch Dell screen (the Apple screen is $1800 and the Dell is only $1200).  After talking to the same associate about my needs, he talked me down (how often do you have a sales person talk you down).  The 8 processor coolness is awesome on the Mac Pro, but for what I do it would be like using a cannon to kill a mosquito.  So I type now on my top of the line imac.  Buying the Mac Pro and the dell monitor would have run $4500.  I was out the door with the imac ($2299), protection plan, and VM software for Mac for $2500.  I only have a 24 inch screen instead of 30, but I think I can use my old monitor as a second display and survive (did I really say that, I used to be content with my 15inch VGA display).  
Here I go!!! Hey WHERE IS THE RIGHT CLICK??? I LIVE WITH THE RIGHT CLICK!!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Better keep buying toys now....pretty soon all your money will go to diapers & baby clothes:)